Keywords: computational modelling
Institute of Systems Science, Durban University of Technology, South Africa.
The Institute of Systems Science (iSS) through a multi-disciplinary research group have developed methodologies for understanding a variety of complex questions from the sciences, engineering and management. In particular we research sustainable environmental and social systems and use models to predict their dynamics.
We currently have an African Union funded project on developing decision support simulation tools based on scientifically validated knowledge for increasing agricultural production and food security in Africa. The postdoctoral candidate will oversee a large part of this project with emphasis on collating field data, collecting literature data on food production and translating these into user simulation tools.
- research in the selected areas
- design and prototype of innovative algorithms
- where appropriate, supervision of master students and PhD students
- publishing results in peer-reviewed journals and international conferences
The position is currently available for up to 24 months, till July 2014. The gross salary is up to R 200,000 per annum, negotiable on experience. The position is open immediately, the starting date is negotiable but preference will be given to those who can start early.
The application should contain a CV, a list of publications, a cover letter with a statement of research interests and names and contact information of two researchers who are familiar with the applicant's work and who will provide recommendation letters on request. Electronic submissions only.
- PhD in agriculture, engineering, computer science, applied mathematics or a closely related discipline (by the starting date)
- some knowledge of programming
- good communication skills, ability to work in interdisciplinary team
- fluency in English and writing scientific papers in English